A linear regulated power supply regulates the output voltage by dropping excess voltage in a series dissipative component. They use a moderately complex regulator circuit to achieve very low load and line regulation. Linear regulated power supplies also have very little ripple and very little output noise.
Typical applications of Linear regulated
General purpose use - including, but not limited to:
- low noise amplifiers
- signal processing
- data acquisition - including sensors, multiplexers, A/D converters, and sample & hold circuits.
- automatic test equipment
- laboratory test equipment
- control circuits
- anywhere that excellent regulation and/or low ripple is required
- AC-DC Single Output Linear Power Supplies
- AC-DC Dual Tracking Output Linear Power Supplies
- AC-DC Dual Isolated Output Linear Power Supplies
- AC-DC Triple Isolated Output Linear Power Supplies
- AC-DC Wide Adjust Output Linear Power Supplies
switching power supply vs. a linear power supply vs. an unregulated power supply.